Sections

Friday, February 4, 2011

The AR gets a new accessory

I haven't posted on the blog about my AR15, so I should give a quick rundown on it.  It's a Dreadnaught Industries lower with a Spike's Tactical LE midlength DI upper, 16" 1/7" twist 5.56 NATO barrel, Spike's Nickel Boron BCG and Battle Trigger FCG, Magpul MIAD, UBR and BAD have all been installed.  BUIS duties are handled by a GG&G 1005 sight (soon to be swapped out for a Magpul unit).  I've also purchased a YHM smooth midlength freefloat forearm, which is what this update is about.  I know you're thinking "Blah Blah Blah, Jon!  Make with the pics!"  Fine!











The rifle's been assembled and ready to go since May of '10, but the FF forearm hasn't yet been installed.  Instead of spending the money on the necessary upper receiver vise block and barrel wrench for a one-time install, I decided to farm out the work to a local shop.  $65 and a few days later, I should have the AR back in my hands early next week.  I'm looking forward to seeing all the major parts installed on the rifle, and then I can move forward with my plans to obtain some optics for it.

Not sure which way I'm going to go, but I'll probably get a Primary Arms micro red dot sight and their 3x magnifier on a FTS mount.  Going for a lower 1/3 cowitness.  If not the micro red dot, I'll probably get their new M4 red dot.  I like the fact it can run 1,000 hours on a standard AA battery, though it is a bit bigger and much heavier than the micro sight.  Oh well, I've got time to ponder it.

Oh yes, and the Beretta 92FS Compact Type-M should be in my hands tomorrow.  Let's hope USPS doesn't botch the delivery to my local FFL tomorrow, or I'll have to wait until Tuesday to pick it up.  Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment