Sections

Saturday, October 22, 2011

New Ruger Gunsite Scout in my hands, plus some goodies!

Just got my new rifle in today. Fell in love at first sight and decided I had to have one. Sold off my Savage 10FP LE .308 to fund this purchase, let's see if the decision was the right one. Here's my little preview for those that care to read through my wall of text.

'Dat stock... ooh baby!
The GSR has a nice laminate stock in subdued black and gray tones, and aggressive checkering where you'd expect it. The rifle barrel and action is a matte blue finish, with the bolt and bolt handle in a natural stainless. The bolt hangs up a little while manipulating it at the rearmost position, but I've read that it will smooth out with use. A bit of Tetra grease and some time on the couch should help a bit. Wow, that sounds a bit kinky, LOL!

Sightseeing
The GSR comes equipped with iron sights, the front is a protected post with two "wings" and the rear is what looks to be a variation of the Mini-14 peep sight. The peep has a moderate aperture size, probably somewher between the long and short range/low-light apetures you'd find on the current M16/M4 rifles. Perhaps some day I'll get out my caliper and measure the aperture inside diameter.

Bangswitch boogie
The trigger isn't too bad out of the box, but it could use a bit of attention to smooth it out a bit. I noticed some creep and takeup, but the break was decent enough. Some dryfiring will likely help here as well. Before I go crazy on that, I will acquire some snap caps to avoid causing undue strain on the firing pin.

All your (optics) base are belong to us
The most notable feature of the rifle is the forward-located optics mounting point. The base is a picatinny-style, and works well with my chosen Aimpoint Comp M4s red dot. I will suggest that anyone looking to mount a red dot go with the lowest solution possible, and you should give up any hope of being able to cowitness with the irons while using optics of any sort. I purchased an Aimpoint 3x magnifier and TwistMount from Botach Tactical for a great price, which showed up on Wednesday.  After mounting it I discovered that the whole thing is just too far forward to be at the proper eye relief to use the magnifier.  What a pity.  I'm thinking I may get the XS Sights picatinny mount and install it so I can try again with the Aimpoint setup.  It'd be a crying shame if I had to ditch the whole setup, you know?

MAGnificent, just what I needed
Immediately after purchasing the GSR, I ordered two Alpha Industries .308 Type 2 magazines to go with it. These magazines are doublestack with a single feed lip system, designed to reduce overall length. If my hand-scale is properly calibrated, I'd say they're a bit lighter than the stock mag as well. The Type 2's are also lacking the inner liner to give you a bit more leeway in loading your .308's long, which may give me more options in determining the most accurate handload for this rifle.

Just one problem with these Alpha Industries mags: They don't work as advertised! They state on their website that these mags should work without modification to the magazine or firearm. Well, they don't. The folding, springloaded ejector mated to the receiver binds on the magazine feed lips at the very rear. Worst part is if you try to force it, it will keep the ejector in the down position which will cause a FTE. No friggin' bueno. I've got a request for support in with the company as of the 18th of this month and I'll keep everyone updated on how they handle the situation.  No contact from them as of yet, so it's looking like I'll have to call them and hold their feet to the fire.  That's unfortunate.

Anywho, here's a pic of the GSR with the Alpha Industries .308 Type 2 magazine and the Aimpoint setup without spacers:

I like it, what about you?  Got a Ching Sling in black leather coming in shortly, will post when it comes in!

No comments:

Post a Comment