Sections

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Shifting my inventory

So I've sold the Savage 10FP LE and Beretta 92FS Compact Type-M, and I've got buyers lined up for the AR15 and XDm-9.  After thinking about it, I decided I had picked up too many firearms and have decided to pare them back to the bare minimums.

The survivors of the great purge of '11?  My trusty XD45 Compact, the Mrs's S&W Model 60 Pro, the Remington 870 with Knoxx stock, and some .22LRs for cheap practice (Ruger 10/22 and 22/45, and the Savage Mark II bolt action rifle).

I went out to shop for a Ruger M77 Mark II Gunsite Scout Rifle in the local area and happened across just one of them.  It was overpriced, and I offered a fair sum in cash on the spot for it, but the store owner wasn't biting.  I said my thanks and moved along.

It's not the first time I've been put off by obscene prices (and that's coming from a guy that understands mark-ups are necessary in the retail world), so I'll be doing my shopping online or at the local gun show from here on out.  Local stores would rather do low volume on high margins, and that's fine.  I'm not going to be bent over and taken for a ride, though.  Not in this economy.  I tried to do my part to support local stores, but they have to be reasonable as well.

Almost makes me want to start my own store... Almost. ;)

So the hunt is on for a GSR of my own.  The rifle balanced well, was lightweight and the trigger was decent enough to not require an aftermarket replacement.  I basically fell in love, but I wasn't going to pay the asking price.  I can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment